[EP-tech] Is EPrints 3.4 and beyond open source software?

Yes, and that one is still  version 3.3.x . Version 3.4 has been promised
since end of 2014 on various occasions (UK user group meetings, OR2016),
but now we just have hosted version (that's the managed availability
option) we should have to pay for. There are many institutions that host
themselves EPrints repositories due to many reasons - shall they not be
able to update anymore?

It's a deviation from the open source thought.

Chances are high that there could be a fork  - as MariaDB did from MySQL.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Br?ndle
Zentrale Informatik