[EP-tech] EPrints upload error on files over ~130k

Hi Kelly,

This could be one of a number of issues.  The first thing I should check
with you is if this is a one off issue with a particular file or EPrint
record or if it is affecting you uploading any files to your repository?

My best guess on the issue, would be that you either need to configure
EPrints temporary directory or ensure that the temporary directory you
have specified exists and is writeable to by the webserver (Apache).
(However, I cannot see why this would have suddenly changed if it was
working before).  Typically, I would add the tmp directory configuration
to your archive's session.pl (e.g.
/opt/eprints3/archives/nau/cfg/cfg.d/session.pl) in session_init and
reload Apache.  Something like:

$c->{session_init} = sub
{
         my( $repository, $offline ) = @_;

         $ENV{'USER'} = 'eprints';
         $ENV{'HOME'} = '/home/eprints';
         if ( -d "/opt/eprints3/tmp/" )
         {
                 $ENV{'TMPDIR'} = '/opt/eprints3/tmp/';
         }
};

The reason I suspect it is this issue, is because RHEL 7 will not by
default allow EPrints to write to /tmp/ if the Apache user is set to
eprints in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, as is generally recommended.
Therefore, you need to specify EPrints' own tmp directory, the above
example uses /opt/eprints3/tmp/.  If you have this configuration in
place, you should also make sure that /opt/eprints3/tmp/ has the
following permissions and user/group ownership (using "ls -la
/opt/eprints3/tmp/" and checking the first line of the output):

drwxrwsr-x 12 eprints eprints    77824 Aug 28 21:35 .

Even if this is the same as above (bar the size of the directory and the
modified date), I would further recommend clearing out the
/opt/eprints3/tmp/ as it will not be cleared on reboot like /tmp/ and
may be using up unnecessary space.  Typically tasks clear up stuff they
have put in EPrints' tmp directory but over time there will be the odd
thing that does not get cleared and over months and years this may start
to waste a significant amount space.

Regards

David Newman