[EP-tech] DROID / Preservation Toolkit

Hi,

I have two questions about DROID, the DROID and Preservation Toolkit Bazaar
plugins.

1) Has anyone been able to update the DROID plugin to work with DROID 6.1 ?
DROID 4 is quite outdated (from 2009), but DROID 6.1 has changed the
command line options and doesn't export anymore XML format directly.

2) Although DROID 4 works on our test server (tables file and pronom are
being updated), it fills our indexer.log with many error messages (probably
due to the fact that we use it with JRE 1.8). Any thoughts why these errors
occur and what can be done to eliminate them?

Excerpts from indexer.log:

With piping to /dev/null:

log4j:ERROR Ignoring configuration file [log4j.properties].
(uk.gov.nationalarchives.droid.MessageDisplay).
log4j:ERROR Could not read configuration file [log4j.properties].
java.io.FileNotFoundException: log4j.properties (No such file or directory)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure
(PropertyConfigurator.java:316)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure
(PropertyConfigurator.java:342)
        at uk.gov.nationalarchives.droid.AnalysisController.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at uk.gov.nationalarchives.droid.AnalysisController.main(Unknown
Source)

Without piping to /dev/null:

Setting Signature File
to: /usr/local/eprints/lib/bin/DROID/DROID_SignatureFile_V82.xml
Signature file V82 has been checked
WARNING: Unable to save configuration updates
The XML file /tmp/JXj_CtwebA.xml was successfully loaded
1 file was read in

WARNING: The expected configuration file DROID_config.xml was not found.
A new one will be created using the configuration defaults.
WARNING: Unable to save configuration updates
Signature file V82 has been checked
==================================

/usr/local/eprints/archives/zora/documents/disk0/00/01/38/54/01/Schmidlin_OperDent_2008.pdf
          Positive (Specific Format) specific hit for Acrobat PDF 1.6 -
Portable Document Format  [PUID: fmt/20]  [MIME: application/pdf]
[...]
WARNING: The file DROID_SignatureFile.xml does not exist
WARNING: The expected configuration file DROID_config.xml was not found.
A new one will be created using the configuration defaults.
WARNING: Unable to save configuration updates
WARNING: The expected configuration file DROID_config.xml was not found.
A new one will be created using the configuration defaults.
WARNING: Unable to save configuration updates
WARNING: The file DROID_SignatureFile.xml does not exist
Could not set Jasper Reports temporary directory to :tempDir
Either it is not a valid directory or the directory is not writable

All directories and files were set to writable for user apache, the files
DROID_config.xml, log4j.properties and DROID_SignatureFile.xml are at their
place where they should be (lib/bin/DROID/ ), and I have also fiddled  with
Java CLASSPATH either in cfg.d/droid.pl  or directly before the exec
("droid") statement in lib/plugins/EPrints/Plugin/Event/DroidScan.pm by
setting the Perl $ENV{'CLASSPATH'}  hash.

Best regards,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Br?ndle