From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of sf2
Sent: 16 December 2014 16:26
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: load throttling strategy

I don't reckon the "waiting" strategy is a good idea: 1- there's no indication that server load will get better after waiting for n seconds, 2- if your thread is waiting, it can't take new connections (so clients will be pilling up).

One strategy (given RG's issues) is to disable the on-demand regeneration of such pages and only generate them offline (via generate_views). Then no problems for the clients since eprints/apache will only be serving cached pages (cached on-disk that is). And if you really must, set-up Varnish or else in front of your repo...

If a page takes 10mins to regenerate then having it generated on-demand by a client cannot be a good idea ;-)

Also out-of-interest I'd be curious to know of any stats showing that visitors actually use the browse pages (ie. how often/how much). I kinda see the point of having them for crawlers (then just have one browse view, eg per year) but for users... meh :-)

Seb