[EP-tech] EPrints Dev Powwow (yesterday)

Hi all,

ULCC hosted the first EPrints Dev Powwow yesterday:
http://dablog.ulcc.ac.uk/2014/08/06/ulcc-hosts-inaugural-eprints-developer-pow-wow/

The main focus were:

(1) the updated Xapian integration

Code at https://github.com/eprints/xapianv2

Presentation slides at http://pubs.ulcc.ac.uk/182/ (Xapian intro and
integration details)

Demo at http://puffin.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cgi/xapian/simple (and /advanced)

(2) EPrints4 under the hood

Code at https://github.com/eprints/eprints/tree/eprints4

High-level presentation of tested/implemented features:
http://pubs.ulcc.ac.uk/183/

We also discussed the options for modernising the UI and which
technologies/frameworks could be used - were mentioned: jQuery (over
Prototype), Bootstrap templates, Mustache (server-side) and Mustache-JS
(client-side). There seems to be a general consensus that building HTML
in PERL is a tedious task and should be discarded.

(3) Bootstrap'ing EPrints

(sorry, I didn't note the URL of the demo, link anyone?)

(4) Github code management

Announcements will be made regarding cleaning up the branches on github
(notifications will be sent beforehand) - expect something like:

- deprecating the "master" branch
- incorporating some selected diff's from master to 3.3 (the so-called
"missing commits")
- make the 3.3 branch *THE* dev branch

Thanks to ULCC for organising and hosting the event, which, hopefully,
will become a regular meeting.

Seb.