[EP-tech] Re: Conversion of images, videos into preview/thumbnail versions

Hi Jacob,

This is to do with the encodings used by the database tables.

The latest version of eprints would create tables using UTF-8 encoding,
but if you upgraded from an older version of eprints, you may still have
the Latin encoding. UTF-8 characters will be messed up if you to save
them into the a Latin encoding database table.

To check the encoding:
SELECT default_character_set_name FROM information_schema.SCHEMATA WHERE
schema_name = "eprints_db_name";

If it is not UTF-8, you will need to convert your database tables to
UTF-8 encoding manually.
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6115612/how-to-convert-an-entire-mysql-database-characterset-and-collation-to-utf-8
)

Make sure you backup your database before doing so!

Best
Jiadi

jy2e08 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
EPrints Services