[EP-tech] Re: {Disarmed} Re: Password Encryption

Thx for the clarification!

I was wondering how easy is for someone that has access to the EPrints database to decrypt the passwords. Apparently it's rather difficult :) !

Best,

G.

Yes but cryptographically that is not the whole picture. It's using a random salt (for rainbow and dictionary attacks) and what looks like a variant of the 'expensive key schedule' used in EksBlowfish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bcrypt> (for brute force attacks). I'm sure it could be characterised in greater detail but I'm not an expert on these matters!

Mark

Mark Gregson | Applications and Development Team Leader
Library eServices | Queensland University of Technology
Level 3 | R Block | Kelvin Grove Campus | GPO Box 2434 | Brisbane 4001
Phone: +61 7 3138 3782 | Web: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/<http://www.qut.edu.au/>
ABN: 83 791 724 622
CRICOS No: 00213J