Re: [EP-tech] Upgrading 3.3.16 to

--- Begin Message ---
Dear David,

Thanks for your help. I thought I had already done as you suggested, but an SFTP-synching problem meant that the only files I’d modified were local copies, rather than those on the server. All now appears to be well, save that when I try to go to the Bazaar, I get the following timeout error:

> An error occurred while talking to the EPM source EPrints Bazaar (https://bazaar.eprints.org): https://bazaar.eprints.org/cgi/search/simple2?q=&v=&q_merge=ALL&output=EPMI3&flavour_id=pub&flavour_version=1.4 500 Can't connect to bazaar.eprints.org:443 (Connection timed out)

I hunted through the mailing list and found discussion of a similar problem back in 2013 whose fix involved adding an $ENV{‘HTTP_proxy’} line to ARCHIVE/cfg/cfg.d/session.pl, but this hasn’t worked for me.

Thanks again,
Mark

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~mrm/
(he, him, his)

> [...]
>
> So, this is the tricky step.  The change between EPrints 3.3 and 3.4 is the introduction of flavours.  For the publications flavour a new file is created that exists under EPRINTS_PATH/flavours/pub_lib/cfg.d/eprint_fields_pub.pl.  In the link you posted with upgrade instructions, there is a section that explains how you need to copy this file to you archive's cfg/cfg.d/ directory and then look through your existing eprint_fields.pl. Where fields with the same name exist you need to delete the field from eprint_fields.pl.  However, if the field configurations differ you need to overwrite the configuration in eprint_fields_pub.pl before deleting that field's config in eprint_fields.pl.  This may be further complicated by potentially having fields defined in other files in your archive's cfg/cfg.d directory.  I would use grep to find all occurrences of full_text_status in this directory.  If you do find it in a different file, you should follow a similar approach and delete it from this other file but using the field config in this file to overwrite what is in eprint_fields_pub.pl if the field config differs.
>
> The user.captcha is an issue with a user field rather than eprint field.  In 3.4 user has a captcha field by default, whereas in 3.3 this was commonly added to the user data object to prevent spam.  It should be sufficient to use remove (maybe just comment out for now), wherever the user field config for captcha exists in your archive's cfg/cfg.d/ directory.
>
> Hope this helps.  Please feel free to ask any follow up questions. I have done numerous 3.3 to 3.4 upgrades, so am aware of most if not all of of the gotchas.  Most come about as a result of certain bespoke changes, that then require an additional step to manage in the upgrade process.  As there is the potential for a myriad or more of bespoke changes, only those that are commonplace have been documented in the upgrade documentation.
>
> Regards
>
> David Newman
>
> On 07/03/2023 9:33 am, Mark Muldoon wrote:
>> Dear EPrints crowd,
>>
>> I have been trying to upgrade a server running EPrints 3.3.16 under Ubuntu 14.04 to one that runs EPrints 3.4.4 under Ububtu 22.04.
>>
>> I cloned the original machine (it’s a virtual server), stopped apache, moved the original archive as described in the notes at
>>
>>     http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Upgrading_3.3.12%2B_to_3.4
>>
>> and then bootstrapped my way up the Ubuntu LTS list to 22.4. I then followed the rest of the directions above and all appeared to go well, but when, as the eprints user, I do
>>
>>    epadmin test mims3
>>
>> where “mims3” is the name of my archive, I get
>>
>> "Duplicate field name encountered: eprint.full_text_status”,
>>
>> while if I try “epadmin upgrade mims3” i get
>>
>> "Duplicate field name encountered: user.captcha”,
>>
>> I’d be grateful for any advice about what has gone wrong and how to procede.

--- End Message ---