Re: [EP-tech] File Icons

Hi James,

In the default EPrints 'summary page' citation, the $doc.icon method is used to display a thumbnail if one exists. See: https://github.com/eprints/eprints/blob/3.3/lib/defaultcfg/citations/eprint/summary_page.xml#L33

The thumbnails are generated by the indexer - and this may not be enabled for your repository.

You're looking in the right place - the convert plugin.

If you want to test what the thumbnails will do by default, look at the 'call_convert' method in EPrints::Plugin::Convert::Thumbnails.

From this you should be able to deduce what command-line will be called to generate the thumbnails - and therefore be able to test it on your server.

Some of the parts might need explaining - e.g. what "$geom^" compared to "$geom>" means (it's in the ImageMagick documentation somewhere).

Most of the Thumbnail plugin is overridable in the repository configuration - so if you needed to change the thumbnail sizes, how they're cropped etc., you can do that without subclassing the module.

The most important piece might be the second half of this line:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints/blob/3.3/perl_lib/EPrints/Plugin/Convert/Thumbnails.pm#L41

For our repo, in [EPRINTS_ROOT]/lib/syscfg.d/executables.pl, we have:

my %executables = (

    'convert' => '/usr/bin/convert',

    'ffmpeg' => '/usr/bin/ffmpeg',

);