[EP-tech] Cumulative PhD theses

Hi,

with the upcoming reform of the doctoral regulations of one of our
faculties, we have to accommodate cumulative PhD theses in our repo.
I'm wondering how other EPrints repos are doing this.

Our idea is
- to deposit the parts as individual eprints, so document type, coauthors,
licenses, embargos etc. can be specified
- to deposit the main document (the thesis) as individual eprint. Use type
dissertation as usual, maybe have an additional field  dissertation_type
that has values "cumulative" and "monographic"
- as soon as the main document is available, link the parts and the main
document in both directions using related URLs with URL Type "HasPart" and
"IsPartOf" (or similar). The related URL is the eprint id URL

Pros: Workflow remains (nearly) unchanged, allows maximum flexibility for
parts and main document,  academic reporting is done for the parts at the
time (year) when they were published/deposited, parts are deposited even if
for some reason the PhD thesis will be unable to come about
Con: Thesis must be downloaded in parts (we would display the links to the
related parts in the download section)

Instead of the related URL/URL Type there is also the ItemRef Metafield
type for linking eprints, but I'm somewhat hesitant.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Martin

--