[EP-tech] Very slow access, File not found, Error Generating views

Hi Ellis,

If you have a user who as a large number of EPrint records associated
with them (maybe their account ID was used during a mass import), then
when that user logs in, the first page they will be taken to lists their
EPrint records, this can be quite slow with hundreds and certainly
thousands of records.  This is often even slower if you are also using
the MEPrints plugin, which tries to load various stats when it logs you
in and takes you to your profile page.  Is it just when you login or
navigating about as well, say editing 1 particular EPrint record?  The
only things I can think that may cause all pages to be slow to load is
either if there is something odd in the user record itself or that
something that calls off to a remote service with the username and for
some reason it has issues with that particular username.  For the
former, I have never seen one user being a lot slower than all others,
so I cannot suggest what to look for in the user record. For the latter,
this would have to be some bespoke feature added to your repository, as
there is nothing like this that EPrints does by defaullt.

If an item is not in the live archive it will give a 404 error like I
can see on the link you provided.  I assume you have probably checked
this.  If not, check at
https://researcharchive.wintec.ac.nz/cgi/users/home?screen=EPrint%3A%3AView&eprintid=3637
and look under the Details tab for the Status field.  By default this
should show "Published" (or something similar if the phrase has been
changed) if the item is in the live archive and therefore should not
give a 404.  There may be other reasons for this not being present but
it difficult to know what this might be.  One thing you could try, is
going to the Action tab on the link I provided above and moving to
review and then moving back to the repository, this may clear something
that has got wrongly cached.

For the EPScript error, abstract pages (i.e. the views being generated)
are static and when the generate_views script is being running there is
no $current_user.  I would advise removing any use of $current_user in
citations (i.e. in this case cfg/citations/eprint/default.xml from your
archive's directory). $current_user is really only intended to be used
in workflows (e.g. cfg/workflows/eprint/default.xml) where there will be
being used by a logged in user.  This may also explain why you are
getting a 404 for the record your reported, as the abstract page cannot
be generated, due to this EPScript error.

Regards

David Newman