[EP-tech] ORCID Support Advance Update

Hi Tomasz,

The ORCID Support Advance plugin does only allow ORCIDs to be stored
against creators/editors if they can be matched to a user via the
'Email' column in all circumstances (to facilitate the read-only nature
of the field). Therefore ORCIDs added through use of the ORCID Support
plugin are affected by this too.

When we've been installing the Advance plugin on repositories we've been
encouraging administrators to tidy up their ORCID data so that the
ORCIDs stored are matched with user profiles. This naturally poses a
problem for storing ORCIDs for external authors, but in my experience
most repositories are happy storing ORCIDs for just their own users.

If an email isn't present in the creator/editor field, but an ORCID is,
the ORCID would be removed the next time the EPrint is recommitted. The
ORCID Support Advance plugin contains a pre-commit trigger that updates
the ORCID field based on the email column to help keep the record up to
date. These triggers are disabled by default when the plugin is
installed however to prevent any accidental erasing of data by
installing the plugin. (the fields are read-only upon installing the
plugin however and so until the triggers are re-enabled the content of
the creator/editor ORCID fields is essentially fixed.)

I hope this helps answer your questions!

Many thanks,

Will

*From:* Tomasz Neugebauer [Tomasz.Neugebauer at concordia.ca] *Sent:* 01
August 2018 17:50 *To:* Eprints-tech *Subject:* Re: [EP-tech] ORCID
Support Advance Update

Hi everyone who has installed the ORCID Support Advance plugin, Will?

I am still looking to get a clearer picture of what I can expect to
happen when I install the ORCID Support Advance plugin on top of the
ORCID Support plugin that we currently have working.

What will happen to the ORCID ID?s that we have already collected in the
author field of publications?

The description from Will below about ORCIDs from a DOI import says this:

?, the ORCID field uses the creator/editor 'Email' column to lookup user
profiles in the repository that have connected to orcid.org so that the
creator/editor ORCID field can be verified. As such any ORCID added via
a DOI import, might then be erased if the user profile lookup cannot be
made. ?

Does the above also apply to any ORCIDs that we have been collecting
using the ORCID Support plugin?

I don?t think that our depositors have been diligently filling in the
email column in the author field during the deposit process, does that
mean that the user profile lookup will fail and the ORCID will be
deleted for any author that doesn?t have an email listed in the author
column?

When does this deletion happen, during indexing? Is there any way to
prevent it from happening?

Thanks so much for any insight or advice on this is really appreciated.

Tomasz