[EP-tech] Changing DOCTYPE, Validate HTML, (X)HTML vs. HTML5 etc...

Hi EP-Techies, hi Justin,

[running eprints 3.3.13]

on our way adding bootstrap to our repo, we stumbled over the DOCTYPE declaration. While https://validator.w3.org reports ARIA-caused errors (unknown role=nav stuff), https://validator.w3.org/nu/ shows (correctly), that the XHTML-Transitional declaration used in EP3.3.x is not HTML5 conformant and we should better reduce to  <!DOCTYPE html>

So what do you think?

- Where is the right place to change the DOCTYPE best? It seems that the module perl_lib/EPrints/XHTML.pm changes the DOCTYPE declaration in the default.xml template to

-  Should EPrints support HTML5 in future versions? (EPrints 3.4)

Regards
 Martin & Jens from Zürich

--
Jens Vieler