[EP-tech] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: HTML5 and EPrints

Dear Adam,

thanks for your statement.

> Aside from failing an HTML purity test, are there further issues caused
by these unrecognized tags?  Is there a better way EPrints could present
this information?

Fulfilling the tests is not for your own sake... it made it easier to make
a deeper look behind the scenes, showed us a lot about bad things that grew
through the years AND let us know things about 'old school' tags (tables
e.g) that could be a problem for mobile usage. So all in all we want to go
the road till the end of all warnings ;-)

Cheers
 Jens

--
Jens Vieler
Zentrale Informatik

mail:  jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch
phone: +41 44 63 56777
http://www.id.uzh.ch

Von:	Adam Field <Adam.Field at jisc.ac.uk>
An:	"jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch" <jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch>,
            "eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk" <eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Datum:	05.12.2016 12:45
Betreff:	Re: Antwort: Re: [EP-tech] HTML5 and EPrints

Hi Jens

                So, the sword interface was going to be the next big thing
a few years ago, allowing automated deposit into repositories.
Unfortunately, it doesn?t seem to have stuck (for whatever reason).  For
example, PURE, the CRIS, has its own connector that you need to install in
EPrints in order to allow automated updating of records.  Symplectic
Elements is the same.

                I?m not sure what the status of the project is, or who
could take on extra EPrints development required to make it HTML compliant
(I assume that modifying EPrints would be simpler than modifying the HTML
spec).  As for me, my responsibilities are currently tied to SHERPA
Services, so I?m not able to spend any time on this, but I?ll ask around
and see if I can find anyone connected with this.

                Aside from failing an HTML purity test, are there further
issues caused by these unrecognized tags?  Is there a better way EPrints
could present this information?

Best Wishes

 -----------------------------
 isc

 Adam Field
 SHERPA services analyst
 developer

      From: "jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch" <jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch>
      Date: Wednesday, 30 November 2016 09:37
      To: "eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk" <eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
      Cc: Adam Field <Adam.Field at jisc.ac.uk>
      Subject: Antwort: Re: [EP-tech] HTML5 and EPrints

      Hey Ian,
      (Cc: Adam Field because this is jisc stuff)

      thanks - and i found
      http://wiki.eprints.org/w/API:EPrints/Apache/CRUD#DESCRIPTION

      So i redefine my question: Which kind of application really uses this
      CRUD API?

      On the other hand we could talk about what the validator
      https://validator.w3.org/nu/?showsource=yes&showoutline=yes&showimagereport=yes&doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zora.uzh.ch%2F120438%2F
       says

      [...]
      "Bad value Sword for attribute rel on element link: The string sword
      is not a registered keyword. "
      "Bad value SwordDeposit for attribute rel on element link: The string
      sworddeposit is not a registered keyword."
      [...]

      and about registering 'sword' and 'sworddeposit'. I think, this
      should be jisc's job... @Adam???

      Jens
      --
      Jens Vieler
      Zentrale Informatik

      mail:  jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch
      phone: +41 44 63 56777
      http://www.id.uzh.ch

      nactive hide details for Ian Stuart ---30.11.2016 10:16:34---SWORD 2
      httpIan Stuart ---30.11.2016 10:16:34---SWORD 2
      http://wiki.eprints.org/w/SWORD

      Von: Ian Stuart <Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk>
      An: <eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
      Datum: 30.11.2016 10:16
      Betreff: Re: [EP-tech] HTML5 and EPrints
      Gesendet von: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk

      SWORD 2

      http://wiki.eprints.org/w/SWORD

      The second <link /> is where one goes to find out what the specific
      SWORD configuration is for the repository

      The third <link /> is the base URL for making SWORD deposits

      What's the fight about?

      href="**http://purl.org/DC/elements/1.0/**"; />*
      href="**https://www.zora.uzh.ch/id/contents**";
      > />*
      >
      > Does anybody know, what they are use for? Are Sword links really
      nedded
      > in every single webpage?
      >
      > Jens
      > --
      > Jens Vieler
      > Zentrale Informatik
      > Universit?t Z?rich
      > Stampfenbachstrasse 73
      > CH-8006 Z?rich
      >
      > mail:  jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch
      > phone: +41 44 63 56777
      > http://www.id.uzh.ch

      Scotland, with registration number SC005336.