[EP-tech] Re: Eprints VS Dspace

The two products are, essentially, the same.

My choice came down to "I'm a Perl programmer" - therefore getting to
grips with DSpace was going to be harder for me.

There are other things:
* DSpace has a large formal support network [duraspace] behind it,
whilst EPrints doesn't
   - It's easier to get features into "core" eprints [when you know the
right people to ask]
   - DSpace is more formal in what goes in & what to expect in future
releases

* DSpace envies the way EPrints is really agile in how its developed;
EPrints envies DSpace in the large support structure it has in place

* DSpace has the concept of "collections", which are like mini
repositories (which can have their own Look & Feel) within the one
service; EPrints has the idea of multiple repositories (which can have
radically different data-requirements) under one web server.

..... but, fundamentally, it comes down to what your tech staff are
happiest using: Perl or Java

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.