[EP-tech] Re: Conversion of images, videos into preview/thumbnail versions

Hi Jacob,

The default charset is the charset used to create new tables and new
fields. (e.g. when you add new fields to eprints).  It is best to change
the default to utf8 (by using the ALTER DATABASE databasename CHARACTER
SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci;). But this is not directly related to
your problem.

You need to make sure the existing tables' encoding  are in utf8.

To check your table encoding, in mysql command line, type:*
**SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM **/tablename/**; *

The */Collation/***column tells you the current encoding used for the
field. I presume you will find them in "Latin1".

If so, you will need to convert the table to utf8 encoding: *
**ALTER TABLE tablename CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci;*

After you converted tables, you will need to re-save the text as the
utf8 texts are already corrupted.

Best
Jiadi