EPrints Technical Mailing List Archive

Message: #00871

< Previous (by date) | Next (by date) > | < Previous (in thread) | Next (in thread) > | Messages - Most Recent First | Threads - Most Recent First

[EP-tech] Re: We are at our wits end,


It’s also often worth checking exactly what’s being executed against the database – you can do this by setting the environment variable DBI_TRACE=1

I’ve not tried this with eprints, but putting this in any script or .pm file that gets loaded usually just works:


    $ENV{DBI_TRACE} = 1;


You can also output the data to a file, like so:


    $ENV{DBI_TRACE} = “1=/path/to/logfile”;



Hope this helps,


Carl Franks

Technology and Innovation in Learning Team

Medical Education Institute

University of Dundee

School of Medicine

ext 35508




From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of sf2
Sent: 25 July 2012 13:41
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: We are at our wits end,


Hi Phil,

For info, which EPrints version are you using?

Worth a try:

- have you tried to reindex the eprint dataset? (bin/epadmin reindex <archive_id> eprint)

- have you tried debugging the search to see which SQL statement gets executed (**) ?


(**) to enable SQL debugging, edit perl_lib/EPrints/Search/Condition.pm, look at the end of "sub sql" for:

#print STDERR "\nsql=$sql\n\n";

Un-comment the line above, restart apache and re-run the problematic search - feel free to copy/paste the SQL query here so we can have a look.


On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:12:26 +1000, "Phil" <philpearson@iinet.net.au> wrote:

If anyone can help we would very much appreciate it, we have posted this issue numerous times and had someone control our eprints server but the problem will not go away. 





I will explain it step by step





If I look at the database directly and query the index I get the following result





Description: Image removed by sender.





You can see the word “Green” and “Bans” are in the index





So we should be able to find this book in the advanced or simple search using the term “green bans”





Description: Image removed by sender.








Unfortunately when we do we get only one result below





Description: Image removed by sender.





Whilst this is correct, it is incomplete, the search should have also returned record 3594





If you look back at the SQL above you will see the other words in the title





If I put a few of them in the search as per below, I get the correct result:


Description: Image removed by sender.








Description: Image removed by sender.





I have erased the index record and reindexed the item to no avail.





This is not the only record that does not return from a search and it makes our catalogue unusable.





I have installed xapian but that also gives me problems as per a post of mine two days ago.





We have put a lot of effort into this migrating from the old system, if we cannot fix this we will have to go through the whole process again with something else.



The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096