[EP-tech] Re: EPrints for Windows?

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 17:33 +0100, Miklos wrote:
> Tim Brody wrote:
> > I've updated that Wiki page to 3.3:
> > http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Branding_with_confidence
> >
> > (site_logo.gif =>  site_logo.png!)
> >
> Thanks! I had figured I could just overwrite the site_logo.png but
> didn't know if anything else in eprints would overwrite it (as the
> generate_static script was supposed to). Does this mean actually that
> the whole /archives/ARCHIVEID/cfg/static subhierarchy is obsolete in
> eprints3?

No.

Anything below lib/ is likely to get overwritten when you upgrade the
EPrints software, causing your changes to be lost.

EPrints scans several directories for a given item, e.g. see:
http://wiki.eprints.org/w/API:EPrints/Repository#template_dirs

Static files will substitute for the lib/ equivalent. Phrases and
configuration files will be combined.
(i.e. a phrase file at the repository level replaces phrases on a
per-phrase level, not a per-file level)

This allows you to keep all your repository configuration in one
directory that can be added to a CVS, migrated elsewhere etc.

(What I have been doing in later versions is reducing the footprint of
what gets added by default to the repository config, which allows users
to benefit from upgrades where they haven't made any customisations)

/Tim.