[EP-tech] email notification on a specific metadata field value change

Another question from me, I hope I don’t get blocked for posting too many!

I would like to add an email notification that would be sent out to the depositor when a specific editor-only metadata field changes in a deposit.

What would be the best/easiest way to get that done?

This method is the only way that comes to mind, but it seems complicated.  Would I need to

1.    add an item field with a date value,

2.    use “automatic fields.pl” to insert a date of when the field changes into it whenver the field that I want monitored changes, and

3.    run a batch script nightly to send the notification email to for all those items that have “today’s” date in the monitor field

Or could I use a trigger mechanism on this field to send out the email?

Tomasz