[EP-tech] EPrints 3.4.4 release schedule

Hi all,

I thought I would give an update on the release of EPrints 3.4.4.  There have been a number of bug fixes and minor features we wanted to get into EPrints 3.4.4, which has delayed the release schedule.  Today, we have put up a release candidate for EPrints 3.4.4:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints3.4/releases/tag/v3.4.4-rc1

More detail of new features, bug fixes and general improvements for EPrints 3.4.4 can be found at:

https://wiki.eprints.org/w/EPrints_3.4.4

EPrints 3.4 is now regularly built and tested using Jenkins, EPrints unit tests and Selenium-based acceptance tests available at:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints_ci

However, we want to significantly expand these acceptance tests before a full release of EPrints 3.4.4 to make sure we have much greater test coverage.  This will hopefully reduce the number of post-release bugs in future versions of EPrints and reduce the time spent doing the mundane task of manually checking all EPrints functionality before a new version can be fully released.  This means the full release for EPrints 3.4.4 will not be until the end of June (2022).

On a related matter, I recently spent some time installing EPrints 3.4.3 on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish) and Debian 11 (Bullseye).  I noted a couple of installation issues relating to package dependencies, so I have tweaked the dependencies for this package, if you are installing from the deb.eprints.org APT repository. (This installation method is not recommended for deploying production EPrints repositories.  It is better for quick deployment for evaluation or testing).  I have also updated the instructions for Debian/Ubuntu installation at:

https://wiki.eprints.org/w/Installing_EPrints_on_Debian/Ubuntu

Regards

David Newman