[EP-tech] dist-upgrade debian (or ubuntu)

--- Begin Message --- Good morning.

Is there a certain procedure I need to follow in order to dist-upgrade (aka full-upgrade) my debian eprints system?
After trying to upgrade from debian-stretch to debian-buster I noticed all kinds of things (removing user eprints was a quite clear warning something bad was about to happen). Luckily it was a virtual server so I just reverted back to the snapshot, but I still need to perform the dist-upgrade and I would like to do it without hassle this time :-)

NB:  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/eprints.list states:
# Stable Builds

deb http://deb.eprints.org/stable ./

In the past I've run into similar problems with my ubuntu-system. I'm not sure how I salvaged the system then. I think no data was lost and I simply re-installed eprints after it was deleted, but that's not the way it should work. My notes are confusing. I did a "apt-mark hold eprints" at one point, but not sure if that was the magic command. Since mysql and apache are dependencies for eprints as soon as eprints gets uninstalled it will uninstall apache and mysql as well. (and then some)

Kind regards,
Willem Koster

--- End Message ---