From: David R Newman <drn@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Sent: Tuesday 15 June 2021 16:30
To: Catherine Ferris <Catherine.Ferris@mu.ie>; eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk <eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [EP-tech] ORCID Support Advance Plugin Query

Hi Catherine,

I got a bit distracted with the disambiguation stuff, as that had been a lot of hassle to sort out, so apologies for not directly answering your question.

The main point of this code is to allow EPrints to push back to ORCID to update the employment or education of the user who connected their EPrints account with ORCID for the purpose of importing and exporting publications/citations.  If you just comment out this whole block (i.e. $c->{"plugins"}->{"Event::OrcidSync"}->{"params"}->{"affiliation"} ), EPrints will not try to update the employment/education of an ORCID connected EPrints user, as it will not have any useful information.  However, if you just leave the configuration unchanged it will basically have the same effect.  It will just make the server do some unnecessary work before ORCID will reject "ZZZZ" as an invalid RINGGOLD ID for an organization that EPrints tries to update the user's ORCID profile with.

I would advise that commenting out is better than deleting this configuration, as if either you choose to re-instate this later or it causes an unintended side effect, reverting the change only takes a matter of seconds if it is commented out.  Either way, once you have changed the config you will need to reload the webserver for the change to take effect.

Hope this helps

David Newman