Re: [EP-tech] Short question about SSI in dynamic CGI output

Hmmm, good question!

If you print an SSI instruction directly from the CGI script, does that get converted as expected? E.g. does

print '<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->';
output a date, or '<!--#echo…'?

I haven't used SSIs alongside EPrints, but if the above doesn't interpret the SSI instruction my guess would be the PerlResponseHandler used for CGI scripts within EPrints::Apache::Rewrite module.

I find the diagram here: https://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#HTTP_Request_Cycle_Phases useful to try and work out what the difference might be between e.g. a static page+template being served compared to a cgi script.

The request for a CGI script might not trigger the SSI handler - but you may be able to add it to the stack, or a different phase (or even the output handlers).

The start of this page: https://wiki.eprints.org/w/How_to_enable_server_side_includes indicates that someone has been down this path before:
"If you want to add dynamic content to the template you should do this via a template part in cfg.d/dynamic_template.pl"

They possibly included a maintenance.ssi file using perl-based methods rather than SSI methods?