From my comments in the code (might be useful knowledge for others):

EPrints' default behaviour is to remove the 'pos' during a document clone *only* when the doc is being cloned to the same parent.

From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of James Kerwin via Eprints-tech
Sent: 16 May 2019 12:22
To: John Salter <J.Salter@leeds.ac.uk>
Cc: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [EP-tech] EPrints/Elements Merge Problems

He David and John,

I've taken a look at the symplectic_merge and symplectic_pids table, and using by budding skills of divination I couldn't find anything out of sorts in there - so far as I can tell. Although in trying to fix this with multiple re-deposits this one record has a load of different EPrints IDs.

It appears to be as John said. I've managed to clean the record up by fiddling with the document and file tables and moving some files around. Everything appears to be working...

John, thank you for the piece of SQL. It appears this is isn't a huge problem, but there are other instances that I'm now at least aware of. I'll put a ticket in with Symplectic. If you do have a solution it would be brilliant, but out of principle I think Symplectic should provide the solution to their customers. Capitalists shouldn't be depending on an open source group to fix their code. Anyway, I don't want to get too political...

Thank you both for your help.

Thanks,

James