Re: [EP-tech] please close the Bazaar

Hi all,

I think that there has grown over time a disconnect between the developers who are updating, releasing plugin code on github and the bazaar. As Yuri points out this has led to out of date versions of things persisting on the bazaar. When someone is new to the platform and tries to try out a plugin, a pretty poor impression is given.

Removing the bazaar is one (drastic) solution, but what I would propose is that it is overhauled and, most importantly, that there is an easy route for developers to publish from github to the bazaar.

Tim MB made https://github.com/eprintsug/gitaar a while back and we still use it to create epmis so that we can make our git-based packages installable with tools/epm. This little app will also build epms and (in theory) pulishe them to the bazaar, however I've tended to come a cropper when attempting this last bit (from memory, versioning goes a bit haywire and permissions are a pain).

However I think it is a very good start. I would suggest that working on gitaar *and* the bazaar so they can be used smoothly in tandem would really help with the quality of content on the bazaar. Something that would further enhance this integration would be tapping in to git releases/tags to help manage the versioning in the bazaar.

Even with this git => bazaar integration in place, the bazaar could still do with a bit of a clean out, deprecating unsupported packages and so on. I would suggest that not having public a git repo should be a barrier to inclusion in the bazaar and further to that, there should be agreed conventions concerning git releases that must be met before a plugin get's in to the bazaar.

Cheers,

Rory

Rory McNicholl
Lead developer
Digital Archives & Research Technologies
CoSector, University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London