Re: [EP-tech] ORCID Support Advance Update

To clarify, repository users do only have to connect their repository account to their orcid just the once, but I appreciate this is still a hurdle for busy academics and VIPs. And, as you say, for records with hundreds of authors where the record may be deposited in hundreds of repositories, emailing the external authors is not a sustainable solution!

The problem I think is ultimately described at https://members.orcid.org/api/member-api-credentials-check-list in the 'Mandatory Requirements' section, which explicitly prevents users from typing in ORCIDs. With this in mind I think the only options are to ask ORCID to change the requirments for using their member API (but this then erodes trust in their system) or we only allow external author ORCIDs to be added from other trusted systems, such as via a DOI (which will be possible when EPrints is better at storing where particular items in the metadata came from).

Will

From: Philipp Zumstein [philipp.zumstein@bib.uni-mannheim.de] Sent: 03 August 2018 07:18 To: Eprints-tech Subject: Re: [EP-tech] ORCID Support Advance Update
Thank you all for the helpful comments to understand better how the
trigger is technically working. I share some concerns about the
practical workflows similar to Jan when it comes to importing from ORCID
to our repository:

- The additional work with ORCID in our repository for our professors or
other VIPs has to be minimal for them, e.g. 3-4 clicks. They certainly
don't want to authenticate all the time or receive a tons of emails.
Some of them are currently not personally adding publications in our
repository, but that is rather a job for their secretaries. Moreover, we
plan to add more data directly by our librarians.

- I completely understands that ORCID wants to control and ask for
authentification about the data which is saved in their database, i.e.
the data which is exported from the repository to ORCID. But I don't
see, why they want to restrict the information which we save in our
repository. The DOIs, ISBNs and ISSNs we add in our repositories are
also not authenticated by the publishers or authors. Moreover, I can add
my ORCID to my website or add it as part of my email signature by just
copy and paste the number without any authentication.

- Sending emails to all authors for authentication sounds horrible.
Imagine for example a paper with 1.000+ authors (e.g. from high energy
physics) which ideally is saved in the repository of every author, which
then would result in a huge amount of emails together. There is no
incentive for the researchers to answer these emails and I guess that
they would just categorized them as spam.

Best regards,
Philipp