[EP-tech] Installing ORCID Support plugin

We have Import from ORCID plugin installed: http://bazaar.eprints.org/354/

We also have basic ORCID support in our repository based on this information: https://wiki.eprints.org/w/ORCID.

That means we already have an “orcid” subfield for eprints_creators where we have been collecting ORCIDs of authors.

This field is of type “text”, not “orcid” as the ORCID Support plugin now has it.

Now we want to move to the official ORCID Support plugin: http://bazaar.eprints.org/544/

What is the best way to install the ORCID Support plugin without breaking things, and without losing the ORCIDs that we have been collecting?

Method 1 :

1)    Write a script to copy all author ORCID fields into a new field, such as “ORCID-ID”

2)    Remove the old ORCID field from creators in eprints_fields

3)    Run epadmin update

4)    Install the ORCID Support plugin which will install the new ORCID fields

5)    Write a script to copy the old “ORCID-ID” fields into the new fields

Method 2 :

1)    Try to install the ORCID Support plugin on top of the existing configuration

Obviously, Method 2 sounds easier and quicker, as I would rather not have to write these scripts to move metadata values around, but we would probably receive errors during installation of the plugin, since the “ORCID” field already exists in creators.

Could we then just try to rename the “type” of that field to “orcid” to fix it?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Tomasz