Re: [EP-tech] Need help to fix security risk vulnerabilities of Eprints software

Hi Shivaram,

So this will address a number of the issues but based on your list I
cannot say definitively which ones as you may have bespoke features
that allow this vulnerability to continue to be present.

I can see you have HTTPS enabled, I would ensuring you are using Apache
configuration shown at [1] as this will ensure no weak SSL protocols or
ciphers are used.  On top of this to guarantee that the vast majority
of these vulnerabilities cannot be exploited in any way, I would
consider using site-wide HTTPS.  There are instructions for how to do
this at [2].

I would also avoid having account creation enabled if you can.  If you
can use institutional login such as Active Directory / LDAP [3] or
Shibboleth [4], this will save needing a feature which could be
exploited.  Equally, this would allow you to disable password reseting
as the passwords for these users would be managed elsewhere.

Some of the other issue will require changes outside the scope of
EPrints itself.  To prevent brute force attacks you may want to try
using something like Fail2Ban [5].  With the autocomplete and remember
password issue.  This first can turned off by setting
autocomplete="off".  There is a phrase you can edit
(cgi/login:page_layout) to set this.  Disabling remember password seems
a little more tricky.  It should be possible to do something with
Javascript to essentially fool the browser into not asking you whether
you want to remember the password.  However, if the user wants to do
this really it is on them to make this (potentially bad) choice.

Regards

David Newman

[1] https://wiki.eprints.org/w/How_to_use_EPrints_with_HTTPS
[2] https://wiki.eprints.org/w/HTTPS-only_and_HSTS