Re: [EP-tech] Data protection and the user table

That's why we've been thinking about it. Another one that people might forget is the request-a-copy data seems to be stored in a dataset. That's not unreasonable but we think we need to add a data protection statement at least and maybe a think to delete them after N years. If that's changes everybody needs maybe that's a script that needs to go on the eprints files server or something similar. EPrints doesn't manage it's own periodic tasks, so you can't just add housekeeping scripts as a plugin or upgrade, they need to be added to the crontab.

On 07/12/2017 16:56, Alan.Stiles wrote:
Hi Chris,
We do similar in terms of updating the table from central records.
We set a flag on the user record to indicate that they are currently in that update feed and run a periodic job to flag users as no longer active when they aren't, then another periodic job to remove users where they are not named depositors or authors / editors (based on the eprint.userid and eprint.creators_id etc. fields matching to the user table entries).  I'd need to double check how we handle inbox items - I think there's a possible need for a manual review in case there are items being deposited 'on behalf of'  that we wouldn't want to lose just because the depositor left.

Whatever the solution it's certainly something to bear in mind - particularly with the GDPR looming next year!

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Christopher Gutteridge
Sent: 07 December 2017 16:42
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Data protection and the user table

Hi, I've realised we might have a (minor) data protection issue with EPrints. Don't panic! This is a result of how we use it, not the software iteself.

Every day we update the "users" table from our central users database.
However we don't *delete* people when they leave the central database, even if they've got zero papers in the system. We do set a boolean field called "active" to FALSE, but that's probably not good enough.

I've not put much thought into this yet, but it seems like good practice would be to also set a "inactive since" datestamp field and then have a script similar to life-embargos which clears out their record and any old "inbox" items.. however there may be an operational need to keep track of who deposited a record indefinitely.

This isn't an issue just for EPrints, but for any system with user accounts created from an external source.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read our Web & Data Innovation blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/