[EP-tech] New ubuntu 16.x problem

Attempting to create a new eprints Ubuntu virtual machine (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, VMware workstation) today, the process now breaks down at apt update with the following:

user1 at eprints:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for user1:
Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]
Hit:3 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]
Ign:5 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 stable/ InRelease
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102 kB]
Ign:7 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 source/ InRelease
Err:8 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 stable/ Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 152.78.189.196 80]
Err:9 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 source/ Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 152.78.189.196 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 stable/ Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: The repository 'http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 source/ Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
user1 at eprints:~$

According to the Man page, this seems to be a problem with a properly signed Release file for the repository, which apparently is now mandatory. If I'm reading this correctly, this will need to be fixed at EPrint's end, unless someone knows of a workaround. I've verified earlier today that the 14.04 package is still working.

Bruce Fulton, MLIS, PhD
Assistant Professor, and
Certificate Coordinator
School of Information - University of Arizona
Harvill Building
1103 E 2nd St #453A
Tucson, AZ 85721
Main   (520) 621-3565