[EP-tech] New ubuntu 16.x problem

Attempting to create a new eprints Ubuntu virtual machine (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, VMware workstation) today, the process now breaks down at apt update with the following:

user1@eprints:~$ sudo apt update

[sudo] password for user1:

Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease

Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]

Hit:3 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease

Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]

Ign:5 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 stable/ InRelease

Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102 kB]

Ign:7 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 source/ InRelease

Err:8 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 stable/ Release

  404  Not Found [IP: 152.78.189.196 80]

Err:9 http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 source/ Release

  404  Not Found [IP: 152.78.189.196 80]

Reading package lists... Done

E: The repository 'http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 stable/ Release' does not have a Release file.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

E: The repository 'http://deb.eprints.org/3.3 source/ Release' does not have a Release file.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

user1@eprints:~$

According to the Man page, this seems to be a problem with a properly signed Release file for the repository, which apparently is now mandatory. If I’m reading this correctly, this will need to be fixed at EPrint’s end, unless someone knows of a workaround. I’ve verified earlier today that the 14.04 package is still working.

Bruce Fulton, MLIS, PhD
Assistant Professor, and
Certificate Coordinator
School of Information - University of Arizona
Harvill Building
1103 E 2nd St #453A
Tucson, AZ 85721
Main   (520) 621-3565