[EP-tech] doctype views with monograph-type and pres_type

We would like to include the display/count of the sub-types for doctypes on the "View by Document Types" page:
http://spectrum.concordia.ca/view/doctype/
I think that our settings are close to the EPrints defaults; we have the following "Conference or Workshop Item" types (defined as "pres_type" in eprint_fields.pl): paper, lecture, speech, poster, keynote, other.
We also have the following Monograph types (defined as "pres_type" in eprint_fields.pl): technical report, project report, documentation, manual, working paper, discussion paper, other.
Thus, on the view by doctype, we would like to see something like this:

*             Article (1319)
*             Book Section (100)
*             Monograph (87)

?         technical_report ([count of technical_report])

?         project_report ([count of project_report])

?         documentation (count of documentation)

?         manual (count of manual)

?         working_paper (...etc...)

?         discussion_paper ()

?         other ()
*             Conference or Workshop Item (121)

?         paper ()

?         lecture ()

?         speech ()

?         poster ()

?         keynote ()

?         other ()
*             Book (6)
*             Thesis (13040)
Has this type of view been done already?  Any advice on the best way to do that?  Is that something that can be done just by tweaking the views.pl?
A related question to that is, by default, the "Book" doctype is separated out from "Monograph", which seems counter-intuitive.  Has anyone combined these two doctypes?  Is there a reason to keep them separate?
Best wishes,
Tomasz

Tomasz Neugebauer
Digital Projects & Systems Development Librarian / Biblioth?caire des Projets Num?riques & D?veloppement de Syst?mes
Library / Biblioth?que
Concordia University / Universit? Concordia
Tel. / T?l. 514-848-2424 ext. / poste 7738
Email / courriel: tomasz.neugebauer at concordia.ca<mailto:tomasz.neugebauer at concordia.ca>
Mailing address / adresse postale: 1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W., LB-540-03, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8
Street address / adresse municipale: 1400 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W., LB-540-03, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8
http://library.concordia.ca<http://library.concordia.ca/>
http://www.concordia.ca/faculty/tomasz-neugebauer.html