[EP-tech] Sub types on fields

Hi Andrew,

for migration, you could add a new compound field with sub_name issn and
type, sub_name type be of type set, with options "print", "online", and
"link".

Then write a script that copies over the values of your print and online
issn fields to the new field and sets the type accordingly.

However, I share the concern of John. Academics or submitters (e.g.
institute secretaries) do not care whether an ISSN is ISSN (P), ISSN (E) or
ISSN (L) - this is something for librarians. It's merely used to identify a
journal if it may have an ambiguous name. The problem ist that the right
information is entered at the right place, at best using autocompletion
(see https://wiki.eprints.org/w/Autocompletion ).
I also like his idea of promoting a prefered value to the default field
(which is used for export).

For autocompletion of journal information, we use a sophisticated method: A
journal database (JDB) that is used during the submission process in the
publication repository (ZORA) for journal name lookups. It originally came
from the university's requirement to track the refereed status of journals.
The JDB itself is a separate EPrints repository.

A journal record contains
- all ISSN variants, if available
- title variants, including ISO-abbreviated titles
- refereed status
- rights and embargo information, either entered manuall or nightly updated
via Sherpa/RomEO API lookup
- link to a publisher record
- Source import information

Example: http://www.jdb.uzh.ch/14208/

During journal name lookup (which can be done using journal title,
abbreviated title or another title variant, or ISSN), the JDB ID and the
official title and publisher name are copied over to the ZORA record. The
issn field is set from the three ISSN fields in JDB in the priority L > P >
E. The JDB ID is further used in the upload stage to look up copyright
details and Sherpa/RoMEO conditions from the JDB. If we need to aggregate
records in ZORA via ISSN (e.g. for statistical reasons), we again look up
first the JDB ID and use it for searches in ZORA.

Best regards,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Br?ndle