From: <eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk> on behalf of Andrew Beeken <anbeeken@lincoln.ac.uk>
Date: Thursday, 19 January 2017 14:51
To: "eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk" <eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [EP-tech] Issue Installing package

Hi Adam!

This is an issue that’s been occurring for me in the latest version of Ubuntu since last October. Christer Enkvist got back to me with a workaround which involves creating a fake entry for apache2-mpm-prefork but it would strike me that this isn’t really something that you should need to do!

On top of that it would also appear that the latest Ubuntu doesn’t have Apache installed as standard (something I think it always has, but apologies if I’m mistaken here) and I’ve also today just noticed that it’s not happy with the root user on MySQL having an empty password (something I often do on local dev machines for brevity – I do know it’s not something to do in a live or staging environment ;) )

I’ve been logging my process while I’ve been working with this and it is thus (including the section regarding faking apache2-mpm-prefork):

·         Install Ubuntu

·         Install Apache

o    sudo apt-get update

o    sudo apt-get install apache2

·         Install PHP

o    sudo apt-get install php libapache2-mod-php php-mcrypt php-mysql

·         Update Ubuntu Sources list - /etc/apt/sources.list

o    deb http://deb.eprints.org/ stable/

o    deb-src http://deb.eprints.org/ source/

·         Create a fake entry for apache2-mpm-prefork

o    sudo apt-get install -y equivs

o    sudo equivs-control apache2-mpm-prefork

o    Edit the resulting file:

·         Change Package: <package name; defaults to equivs-dummy>

·         To Package: apache2-mpm-prefork

o    sudo equivs-build apache2-mpm-prefork

o    sudo dpkg -i apache2-mpm-prefork_1.0_all.deb

·         Install EPrints

o    sudo apt-get update

o    sudo apt-get install eprints

·         NOTE: YOU MUST INCLUDE A PASSWORD FOR THE ROOT DB USER

·         Edit /etc/hosts

o    127.0.0.1 <myeprints>

·         REPLACE <myeprints> WITH THE HOSTNAME OF YOUR REPOSITORY

·         Set up your repository

o    sudo su - eprints

o    bin/epadmin create

·         Follow the instructions - don't forget your host name!

·         Exit back to the normal user

·         Enable EPrints and restart apache

o    sudo a2ensite eprints

o    sudo service apache2 restart

·         Visit your site in your web browser!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you get to the bottom of why the package installer is throwing the error!

Andrew