[EP-tech] Re: Suggested changes to EPrints 3 in 2016

Yes your understanding is correct although the function in $xhtml  would
not be prefixed with render_ because everything in that class has an
implied render_ . Deprecating all the existing render functions will take
years because its quite a large change but I think its a good idea to move
in that direction.

How this fits in with EPrints 3.3 and 4 I have no idea. Every time i look
at the git branch for EPrints 4 I do so with trepidation. It is a big
fundamental change to EPrints which i dont feel time rich enough to start
understanding. I had a demo of the code in action from Seb Francios a year
(or maybe two) ago but it has no user interface so their is still a lot of
work to be done there.

Hopefully Jiadi will be able to comment on this when he returns from his
holidays. I think that his plans should be the bulk of what is on that
roadmap page so we can all see what is coming up. My understanding from
talking to Justin is that he has plans for EPrints 3.3 but I have no idea
what the position on EPrints 4 is.

For the time being I will carry on quietly committing tests and wait to see
how this unfolds.

Best
Patrick