From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk <eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk> on behalf of Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
Sent: 14 January 2016 19:10
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: EPrints and mobile?

Sheppard, Nick dijo [Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 01:01:32PM +0000]:
> I'm sure it is, but I've been asked to comment on whether EPrints is
> optimised for mobile. Is anyone able to comment?

The world is not as black-and-white... So you can get something quite
decent with the templating system as it is. I know our case is _very_
far from perfect, but take as an example our repository:

    http://ru.iiec.unam.mx/

We did very simple edits to the base stylesheet, making the main menu
drop to follow the content if the screen width is <= 825px, and adjust
the institutional banner accordingly, also based on the screen
width. To do this, we just needed the following CSS declarations:

    http://ru.iiec.unam.mx/style/ru_iiec_media_qry.css

and called it from our default template
(archives/$MYSITE/cfg/lang/es/templates/default.xml):

Added the following line to the headers of all generated pages:

And moved the content part of the page to be rendered before the menu
(in order for the CSS incantation to show content first, menu
later).

Those changes have been deemed sufficient by our people — of course,
it's not _absolute_ mobile-friendliness (i.e. small links for
thumb-based operation), but it's enough for us. After all, the primary
usage of a repository (mainly if it's of mostly-textual content)
should be usually large-screen-based.