[EP-tech] Re: IRStats2: incremental cron job

Experiment and see how it goes, but bear in mind the running the time is something like:

	((O+(PxA))*Dbl)/Dbp

	O = Overhead (starting the process, etc) -- typically quite trivial, but can be significant if Dbl is high
	P = Time to process a single access line
	A = Number of accesses
	Dbl = The load on the database -- loosely, how many different things the database is currently doing. My gut feeling is that this is the one that is killer.
	Dbp = Database performance -- Your database server's hardware is the critical factor with this one

By running more frequently, you're going to increase the total amount of time the stats process is running because of O.  By running it at all the times of the day, you'll be inevitably running during times when Dbl is high (because people are doing things with the database).  I think your best bet is working out when Dbl is lowest (likely when the sun is over the Pacific Ocean), and running it then -- you will need to coordinate this with other tasks, perhaps setting browse view timeouts higher than 24 hours and generating them on a view-by-view basis on a staggered schedule).  The other way to sort things out is to increase Dbp, but that would probably need infrastructure upgrades.

--
Adam Field
EPrints Services