Universit?t Z?rich
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Z?rich

mail:  jens.vieler at id.uzh.ch
phone: +41 44 63 56777
http://www.id.uzh.ch

Von:	Ian Stuart <Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk>
An:	eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Datum:	09.03.2015 10:05
Betreff:	[EP-tech] Re: Bazaar-Plugins vs. New EPrint Versions
Gesendet von:	eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk

On 09/03/15 08:48, Denis Pitzalis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Maybe even easier would be to add a min_version and a max_version
> variables in the plugin definition. Like in PHP CMS. So we can define:
> $self->{min_version} = ?>= 3.3.10?;
> $self->{max_version} = ?< 3.3.12?;
>
> so we are sure that we always install the good version of a plugin.
>
> We could even go further and add a dependencies like:
> $self->{dependency} = ?icon-builder>1.1.4?;
>
> etc
>
> What do you think?

The downside to this approach is that plugins should remain compatible
with all releases of EPrints (and certainly within a Version: 3.1; 3.2;
3.3;...)
The changes that kill plugins are changes to API calls... and those
shouldn't change within a version (so all function/api calls in 3.3.1
should still work in 3.3.14 - though there may be additional
functionality available within those calls, or via new calls)

I'd be happy with

$self->{min_version} = ?>= 3.2?;
$self->{max_version} = ?< 3.4?;

Anything else, and all Bazaar plugins automatically go "out of scope" on
every new release, until they are tested against an install of that new
release.

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.