[EP-tech] Re: Eprints VS Dspace

The two products are, essentially, the same.

My choice came down to "I'm a Perl programmer" - therefore getting to grips with DSpace was going to be harder for me.

There are other things:
* DSpace has a large formal support network [duraspace] behind it, whilst EPrints doesn't - It's easier to get features into "core" eprints [when you know the right people to ask] - DSpace is more formal in what goes in & what to expect in future releases

* DSpace envies the way EPrints is really agile in how its developed; EPrints envies DSpace in the large support structure it has in place

* DSpace has the concept of "collections", which are like mini repositories (which can have their own Look & Feel) within the one service; EPrints has the idea of multiple repositories (which can have radically different data-requirements) under one web server.

..... but, fundamentally, it comes down to what your tech staff are happiest using: Perl or Java