From: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of martin.braendle at id.uzh.ch
Sent: 21 April 2015 10:19
To: eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Antwort: Use of truncation in advanced searches

Hi Gilles,

our repo has about 80'000 records and 56% fulltext, so is comparable to yours.

title: immediate (1-2 seconds)
documents (full text): 20-30 seconds. The mysql daemon goes up to 70-100% CPU load.

Quick search (Xapian):

title:thermograph*  : immediate
thermograph* : immediate

We recommend in our help page (http://www.zora.uzh.ch/help/) that Quick Search should be the tool of choice and only for very precise searches Advanced Search should be used.