[EP-tech] Re: Thousands of old eprints repropagated via OAI after epadmin redo_thumbnails &co.

  • To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
  • Subject: [EP-tech] Re: Thousands of old eprints repropagated via OAI after epadmin redo_thumbnails &co.
  • From: Yuri <yurj@alfa.it>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:26:31 +0200

Il 08/04/2014 11:57, Sebastien Francois ha scritto:
Hi Florian,

Interesting scenario!..

On 08/04/14 07:43, Florian Heß wrote:
Hi,

is there an option (am I just missing it? using EPrints v3.3.10) to
leave the current lastmod timestamp untouched when processing an epadmin
or alike routine automated by EPrints-boxed tools? We had in the past
and will still have a need to batch-process plenty of eprints, epadmin
redo_thumbnails for instance, which results in e.g. their being
renotified via our aggregator for freshly acquired media (RSS-feed and
mail channel both are limited to 1000 items per request, thus some
really fresh ones might be suppressed in the list). Client OAI
harvesters might handle them as new, too, which would be not that
user-friendly.
In the OAI scenario, I think that the OAI clients are faulty as an
update of the lastmod timestamp doesn't modify the resource's unique
identifier which should be used to see if an item is new or being updated.

timestamp is the default criteria for OAI to find if something has changed. The unique identifier can't change, so can't be used for updates. Or maybe I misunderstood?