[EP-tech] Xapian install on Ubuntu 12.04

We have the following instructions for installing Xapian on Ubuntu 12.04:

Install Xapian:

wget http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/1.2.13/xapian-core-1.2.13.tar.gz

wget http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/1.2.13/xapian-omega-1.2.13.tar.gz

wget http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/1.2.13/xapian-bindings-1.2.13.tar.gz

tar zxvf xapian-core-1.2.13.tar.gz

tar zxvf xapian-omega-1.2.13.tar.gz

tar zxvf xapian-bindings-1.2.13.tar.gz

cd xapian-core-1.2.13

sudo apt-get install uuid-dev

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

cd xapian-omega-1.2.13

sudo apt-get install libpcre3-dev

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

cd xapian-bindings-1.2.13

sudo ./configure

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo cpan Search::Xapian

We were wondering if it is preferable to use the Ubuntu packages instead?

We found these packages:

libept-dev - High-level library for managing Debian package information
libxapian-dev - Development files for Xapian search engine library
libxapian22 - Search engine library
libxapian22-dbg - Debugging symbols for the Xapian Search engine library
xapian-doc - Core Xapian documentation
xapian-examples - Xapian simple example programs
libsearch-xapian-perl - Perl bindings for the Xapian search library
xapian-omega - CGI search interface and indexers using Xapian
xapian-tools - Basic tools for Xapian search engine library

libsearch-xapian-perl looks to be the equivalent to CPAN's Search::Xapian?
Does anyone have any experience with installing xapian on Ubuntu this way?

Thanks!

Tomasz

Tomasz Neugebauer
Digital Projects & Systems Development Librarian
tomasz.neugebauer at concordia.ca<mailto:tomasz.neugebauer at concordia.ca>
Concordia University Libraries
1400 de Maisonneuve West (LB 341-3)
Tel.: (514) 848-2424 ex. 7738