[EP-tech] Re: Eprints and ebook readers

Hi Antonio

We had a little project running called Anthologizr, with the aim of developing the kind of system you describe, exporting user-selected repository contents as a 'zipped up' EPUB ebook.

We have achieved some promising demonstration outcomes, however the chief blocker to exporting as EPUB is the fact that most repository contents are in PDF.

We have managed to create acceptable EPUBs where the repository items are HTML or JPEG, but from PDF we've only managed to extract the very anti-formatted output that pdf2text provides - fine for indexing but not for reflowable ebook formatting.

If repository policies stipulated deposit of an HTML or XML version, creating e-book anthologies from EPrints could become widespread, but as long as PDF rules the roost, I am not so optimistic.

Let me know if you'd like more info - our project blog is at http://anthologizr.wordpress.com There are some plugins though it's fair to say they need still some work to be ready for general use.

Regards

Richard