[EP-tech] Metadata indicating full-text deposits for institutional repositories

  • To: "Global Open Access List \(Successor of AmSci\)" <goal@eprints.org>
  • Subject: [EP-tech] Metadata indicating full-text deposits for institutional repositories
  • From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:42:53 -0400

Bravo to Dirk and others for their efforts to create reliable full-text deposit metrics
for institutional repositories.

Let me just stress, though, that -- for our recent findings on the correlation between
deposit-mandate-strength and deposits -- the fact that not all deposits are full-texts would
work against, not for, detecting a correlation:

The deposit-mandates are all full-text mandates, not metadata-mandates. Hence
whatever the baseline ratio of full-text deposits to total deposits, a significant increase
in total deposits with an increase in deposit-mandate strength is far more likely to
be the result of an increase in full-text deposits than of other kinds of
content, unrelated to what the deposit-mandate is mandating.

That said, it would be splendid if repositories provided clearer and fuller
metadata to indicate full-text deposits (and, in particular, full-text deposits
of peer-reviewed research articles).

Eprints and Dspace developers (and IR managers): Attention!

Stevan Harnad