[EP-tech] Re: Random question: Eprint core fields

In Perl, you can only store scalars inside lists or hashes. If you try
to directly store arrays inside an array, as follows-

my @alphas = ("a", "b", "c", "d");
my @nums = (1, 2, 3, 4);

my @test = (@alphas, @nums);

Both arrays get folded into one long array, ("a", "b", "c", "d", 1, 2,
3, 4). You have to store the memory address (reference) of the list
instead, which adds all this confusion and complexity, as you then need
to 'de-reference' the address to actually treat it like an array
again.

If you want to get a good grasp of Perl development, the best book
available at the moment is Modern Perl - it's available online for free
and explains references lucidly.