From: eprints-tech-request@ecs.soton.ac.uk <eprints-tech-request@ecs.soton.ac.uk> on behalf of David R Newman <drn@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Sent: 16 August 2023 12:29
To: James Kerwin <jkerwin2101@gmail.com>
Cc: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk <eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [EP-tech] LDAP and New Users

Hi James,

So you don't think it is being run on your current production server either, although at least there it exists.

It is possible that there is either something that connects to you server and runs update_users or remotely connects to you database to add user records.  I very much doubt the latter is likely or even the former.  It may be worth checking the joined time of the most recent users on your production repository.  Are they being added a times when you would expect users to login (for the first time) or are there a batch being added at the same time when it is unlikely for users to be logging in?

One other possibility is that there is something in your user_login.pl, the script that manages both local and LDAP login, which behaves differently on your test repository.  However, if you have configured this for LDAP I would assume this would be in your archive's cfg/cfg.d/ directory so would not have changed between production and test.  However, a very subtle change to $c->{check_user_password} could affect whether new users using LDAP can have a new account created for them the first time they login or whether an account on EPrints already needs to be in place for them to login.

Regards

David Newman