Re: [EP-tech] indexing full text document pdf with tag get empty word in eprint__rindex table

Hi Mario,

I think I may have a solution to your problem.  What you need to do is edit you archive's cfg/cfg.d/indexing.pl and add the following block of code:

        if( $word =~ m/[^\x20-\xEF]/ )
        {
            $ok=0;
        }

If you put this after the block of code like this:

        if( $word =~ m/^[A-Z][A-Z0-9]+$/ )
        {
            $ok=1;
        }

If you do not have a cfg/cfg.d/indexing.pl in your archive copy the one in lib/cfg.d/ to your archive and then edit this copy.  Once you have finished editing make sure you restart the indexer and probably best to reload the webserver as well.  Oddly, if you try to  run "epadmin reindex" for this eprint from the command line it won't work, as it will reuse the existing indexcodes.txt file that has the offending strings.  However, if you click in the "Reindex Item" under the "Actions" tab of the eprint item it should regenerate the indexcodes.txt file.  I am going to look into whether this can be added as a feature to epadmin.  At present epadmin has the option "erase_fulltext_index" but this will cause all your indexcodes.txt files to be regenerated and all eprint items to be reindexed.

The aim of this code is to avoid strings like '𝑒𝑥𝑝' attempting to be indexed.  As these will fail due to MySQL ignoring certain characters and then trying to insert empty string into the eprint__rindex table, when there is already an entry for empty string, probably due to a previous string that had non-standard characters being saved as an empty string.  The way that the SQL queries are written to insert multiple entries at once into the eprint__rindex table means that if one entry fails then the remaining entries never get attempted.

With this block of code it should not allow any strings into the indexcodes.txt that would break the inserts into the eprint__rindex table.  However, I am not yet confident this is the best regular _expression_ to use, as it may disqualify perfectly legitimate strings.  However, it looks like all printable ASCII characters are allowed as well as various non-English characters that may be used both Latin alphabet languages (French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc.) and non-Latin alphabet Languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Cyrillic-based).  I am not sure if ultimately some of the non-Latin characters strings will get indexed but they will be added to the indexcodes.txt files, which is all that the block of code should directly affect.

Regards

David Newman