Re: [EP-tech] Limit Export-search-results (max_items for export)

Hi Avischai,

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way of limiting the number of records that can be exported.  I think the consideration at the time was that browse view web pages with loads of items can take a long time to load (even when cached) and they are not particularly useful to a user with their web browser as the page will be really long, (i.e. take forever to scroll through).  So rather than putting load on the server to generate such a web page it easier just to say, "this page has too many items to display".  The opposite is true with exports, which are typically machine-readable and therefore either used for some automated analysis or post-processed (e.g. truncated to only the first n items) before being displayed to a real user.  If an export itself was truncated or restricted if it had what was determined "too many items", this would then prevent or render the analysis/post-processing useless.  I am not sure what other people's thoughts are about this?

I think I may appreciate what might be your more general point, which is the high processing cost of generating these large exports.  If you have some crawler going through your browse views and asking for every export format for some of these really long listings of items, it can put quite some load on the server, (/cgi/exportview is not cached).  Sometimes, there can be multiple connections (maybe even 20+) from the same IP address trying to request view listing exports.   I have observed crawlers doing this on a number of EPrints repositories and have had to resort to blocking the IP addresses, at least temporarily.  We have been considering for future version of EPrints, if there is a way of restricting the number of requests that can make for processor-intensive pages over a set period of time:

https://github.com/eprints/eprints3.4/issues/102

Regards

David Newman