Re: [EP-tech] ORCID plugin on 3.3.16

Hi Matt,

I have just reviewed the code and it looks like in older versions of the ORCID Support Advance (version 1.5 and earlier) it only imports creators who have an ORCID ID set for them in the "work" item in ORCID imported from the importing user's set of works.  I am not sure what the logic was behind this choice, as I was not involved in the development of these plugins.  The code where these logic is applied can be found in lib/plugins/EPrints/Plugin/Screen/ImportFromOrcid.pm. The line you are looking for is:

if( defined( $contributor->{"contributor-orcid"} ) )

I have taken a quick look at the GitHub issues for this Git repository and found this particular issue:

https://github.com/eprints/orcid_support_advance/issues/27

The patch this discusses looks to have been merged into the master branch in February 2020.  The latest version (1.7) of the ORCID Support Advance plugin (http://bazaar.eprints.org/1155/) looks to be from January 2021 and has this patch, as does the version from February 2020 (1.5.1, http://bazaar.eprints.org/1138/).  If you have a version of ORCID Support Advance earlier than 1.5.1, that would explain why this is not working.  Also, sometimes if you modify files for Bazaar plugins and then upgrade the plugin, the modified files will not necessarily be updated.  So even if you are running one of these two recent versions, it is worth checking to see if ImportFromOrcid.pm contains the fix from this patch.  Like above, look for the line:

if( defined( $contributor->{"contributor-orcid"} ) )

and check that there is a block after this that deals with just adding the creators name, even if there is no ORCID ID sent through from ORCID for a contributor.

Regards

David Newman