[EP-tech] EPrints and cloud-native services

Hi EPrints people,
Has anyone done any investigations / experiments / development of running parts of an EPrints stack in Azure (or other cloud provider) using cloud-native services?

I'm aware of:
I haven't seen much about other aspects.
I'm thinking along these lines:
  • scalable containers to run the public web interface
  • scalable containers to run the 'user' interface (possibly just the same as above)
  • scalable/on-demand resource to run scheduled jobs
  • storage pools that trigger Function Apps to generate thumbnails (and tell Eprints that they have been made)
  • access data logged in other storage format (removed from main database)
I'm trying to work out which approaches might work, and be cost effective.
I think the EPrints plugin architecture lends itself to using the cloud for certain tasks - such as thumbnails.

Any thoughts or insights welcome!

John Salter
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8611-8266

White Rose Libraries Technical Officer